Want to lose weight and be healthy too? Weight loss without watching what you eat will not only set up a never-ending yo-yo dieting spiral, it can also trigger health problems. Here are seven new nutrition and weight-loss tips to help you drop pounds in a healthy way.
1. Start each meal by eating veggies. Veggies are loaded with vitamins and minerals as well as with fiber, so you will feel full quicker. If you start each meal with proper nutrition, weight loss will quickly follow.
2. Put away the salt shaker. A new study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control says that two out of every three Americans need to reduce their salt intake to no more than 1,500 mg per day to avoid problems such as high blood pressure. Too much sodium will make you retain water and cause you to gain weight. For proper nutrition, weight loss and other benefits, use one of the many herbal, salt-free seasoning blends available. You'll be amazed at how good your food will taste. You won't miss the salt.
3. Try seaweed and algae. At least one celebrity is finding wonderful results by drinking seaweed and algae shakes. Some experts say these shakes break down fat deposits and prevent water retention. So not only do these natural products aid provide great nutrition; weight loss is assured. Remember Asian peoples have depended on seaweed, algae and similar plants for centuries and are known for their healthy lifestyles.
4. Eat the right kind of carbs. For years, there has been the myth that carbohydrates make you fat. Actually, your body needs carbs for proper nutrition. Weight-loss experts now believe that carbohydrates are no more fattening than any other type of food. It's the amount you eat and as well as the amount of fats, salts and sugars you add when preparing them that makes you gain weight. Have carbs if you wish. For nutrition's sake, have more whole grains, fruits and vegetables, which have more nutrients than junk food.
5. Watch out for artificial sweeteners. Just because artificial sweeteners provide no calories that does not mean they are good for you in terms of nutrition. Weight-loss experts are finding out that using foods with artificial sweeteners enhance our natural craving for sweets. A better bet is to eat fruit or to add natural sweeteners, such as cinnamon. These will help you to satisfy your cravings quickly.
6. Indulge your cravings, and then start again. With a little planning, you can eat your favorite foods without gaining weight. For example, if the holidays would not be complete without Grandma's cheesecake, go ahead and have some. Savor it slowly and really appreciate the effort she put into it. There may be no benefits in terms of nutrition, weight loss or healthy living, but you won't leave the table feeling deprived and gorging yourself later.
7. Learn to relax with means other than food. Many of us are overweight because we've learned to handle stress by gorging on junk food. One of the sources of our stress is -- you guessed it -- being overweight. Cut the cycle by learning other ways to handle stress. Learn yoga, hypnosis and other relaxation techniques and how to apply them to your daily life. Then, when the talk turns to nutrition, weight-loss and other stressful matters, you will have the tools you need to keep going calmly.
These seven nutrition and weight loss tips will go along way to helping you live a healthier life.